Avenues College has a wellbeing team who offer a wide range of services and support for students, staff and parents. They provide counselling as well as referral to government and non-government agencies to support members of the school community.
The Student Wellbeing team consists of:
- Mari Terreri - Head of Wellbeing, Students and Engagement
- Narelle Christiansen - Student Counsellor - Beatty Ave Site
- Vanessa Geurin - Student Counsellor - McKay Avenue Site
- Pastoral Care Worker McKay Ave Site - Bron Jury
- An Aboriginal Student Support team consisting of a Teacher, Community Education Worker and Mentors.
Student Wellbeing Counsellors
The Student Wellbeing Counsellors are available for a confidential chat about anything that might be getting in the way of enjoying school, and achieving future goals. This might be stress, worries about studies, feeling low in mood more often than usual, and issues with friends and/or family. Everything discussed is completely confidential, meaning your information will not be shared without your consent. There are occasional exceptions to this, which will be discussed during the first meeting.
The school-based counselling service offers:
- support to encourage attendance and learning at school
- help to manage relationships with family, teachers and peers
- support to manage issues of concern
- information about and referrals to other support agencies
- course and career guidance
Students can arrange to meet with us by visiting us directly at our office, or completing an appointment request slip available from student services.
Parents/guardians are encouraged to seek support from the Wellbeing team by contacting the relevant Site' front office Beatty Ave 8261 3339 or McKay Ave 8261 2733.
Out Of Hours
If support is required out of school hours and during school holidays for any wellbeing issues, options include:
- If urgent, contacting 000 or presenting to your local hospital emergency department;
- Making an appointment to see your family doctor or GP;
- Contacting a specialist service such as headspace or CAMHS (Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service);
- Lifeline – 13 11 14
- Kids Helpline (for young people up to 25 years of age) – 1800 55 1800
- Beyondblue –1300 22 4636 or beyondblue.org.au (online chat support)
- Eheadspace (online counselling service for young people 12-25) – eheadspace.org.au