The Aboriginal Education staff at Avenues College aim to provide Aboriginal students with curriculum support (specifically literacy and numeracy) in accordance with the DECD Aboriginal Strategy -
The staff aim to :
- To re-inforce that Aboriginal education is everybody's business and the implementation of the DECD Aboriginal Strategy needs commitment from all staff.
- To commit to specific strategies that ensure Aboriginal students at Avenues College have attendance, numeracy and literacy outcomes that are comparable to all students.
- To ensure strong connections are developed and maintained with our Aboriginal families and community.
- To connect with organisations and agencies which can benefit and support our students and families.
- To work hard to ensure a safe and positive atmosphere for all Aboriginal students and their families.
- To support students so that they are given every opportunity through appropriate resources to reach their academic and social potential as a student and beyond.
- To work closely with all teachers to ensure that Aboriginal students are supported and on track with their studies.
- To assist students and families with the transition processes throughout their schooling experieince and then on to further study or employment (Career Pathways).
- To ensure Aboriginal cultural sharing and awareness are implemented, developed and maintained for all staff and students.
The Aborigianl Education staff at Avenues College connect with the following organisations :
- SAASTA (South Australian Aboriginal Sports Training Academy)
- Port Adelaide Football Club (Power Cup)
- The Adelaide Football Club (AFC McLeod Centre of Excellence Leadership Program)
- Reconcilliation SA
- The Workabout Centre
- Marringga Turtpandi Health Service
- Dental SA
- Wyatt Benevolent Association